Monday, April 26, 2010

Do the Math Baby!

OK, so I had a really good day the other day! And yes, it carried me for a while. But how do you create when you aren't having a good day? Well, I guess for me it used to be I just didn't! I always had to be in "the mood" to paint. I had to have "inspiration" to start. The planets had to be aligned and the god's in their good mood's!

As you can imagine, I didn't get a lot done. I think that was creative immaturity. Sure we all have times when you get in a zone and can do no wrong. But that's the exception to the rule. Waiting for those times is like waiting for lightening to strike!

When I began to take my art seriously, I really struggled with how to make art and create when I didn't "feel" like it. The model then would be the dinner dishes. Who ever wants to do the dishes after a long day and a good meal. Wouldn't we all like to just sit down with a glass of wine and the TV or good book and that full stomach? But the dishes don't take care of themselves, just like a painting won't paint itself. So if your waiting for the dish fairy, good luck with that! (and send her/him my way!!)

So then, my art becomes work? Well, in a way, but not the way you think. And if it does, don't you loose the magic and "therapy" that art brings to your life? Not at all. Beginning is just that. When I start washing dishes, I may hate the idea, but there is a certain meditative thing that happens while I mindlessly clean up my mess. I forget while in the process how I might hate this job, and my mind drifts to other things. I've solved problems, righted relationships and sung show tunes! And it's funny how when it's over and done with and I feel so much better and have a nice clean kitchen to wake up to!

I think the same holds true of the creative process. I might just dread starting a painting. But once started, the creative juice kicks in and I begin to feel the source and find my strength. I get a charge, so to speak, and if I do this routinely, I am less likely to loose the charge and let my batteries drain completely. (another problem-another blog)

Does this mean I have a masterpiece each day? Heck no! I'm talking process, not results. I still fight the thought that results are from the gods! But the more I use the process, the more often the chance for a great result!

That's just doing the math baby!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, it is the getting started that is the hard part--but so many people do NOT get started, and so by getting started we are already way ahead of where we would have been...just getting started...I find this so true...I think I will use that mantra for the next few days--just get started...I am betting the next step will take care of itself--thanks for the great motivation...I am off to GET STARTED Deborah

    ReplyDelete