Friday, February 18, 2011

Footprints


 
Value Drawing-Martha Smith
As I  began my daily walks again I was challenged by snow.  I usually don't have much trouble walking in the snow, but the ice storm had crusted over the snow and made it hard to walk on.  Each step I made my weight broke through the ice crust.

On the sidewalks where others had walked, their footfall had made the walk uneven with snow and ice making it hard to walk without slipping or twisting my ankle!  When I finally made it to the path around the pond it was less traveled and not as hard to navigate.  I found that someone before me had left a nice set of footprints in the snow and that if I stepped in those I did not have to break the ice and do the work!  The stride was long, but doable.  So in someone else's tracks I found a safer, easier path to take.
Value painting-Nancy Lubis

 Do we do that with our creative path?  Do we find someone else's tracks an easier path to take?   Have we taken from a teacher we admire and tried to mimic their style instead of challenging ourselves to find our own?  Have we gotten into a "safe" way of doing our art?  Making art that "sells", or a way of doing things that is formulaic?  Are we looking for a short cut or easy way instead of doing the work of breaking through the ice ourselves?  Have we avoided the work it takes to learn the skill it takes to move our work forward? 


Value Sketch-Susan Smith

I asked this of myself as I walked around the pond.  The answer was yes and no.  I have done it the easy way and I have put in the work and forged my own path.  But the path of creativity never ends!  Which is the beauty and the joy of it.  There is no limit to creativity, no end to your journey.  So when you think you have found your place in it, move forward- don't stay there too long or you will quit growing.  While it is easier and more comfortable to stay where you are because life is good here and the unknown is a scary place, you will also never see what awaits around that curve in the path.  What's around that curve could be life changing! 

Value Sketch-
Myra Brenneman
This weeks sketchbook challenge I want you to see shapes by drawing big shapes first, medium shapes next and then small shapes.  Drawing the big shapes first helps us to place the large masses in the right places on the paper and gives us the big picture before spending time with smaller shapes and details.  Details are over rated anyway!

Happy creating!




No comments:

Post a Comment