Sunday, October 20, 2013

Expression with Line

Definition:Line in drawing refers to a type of mark that contains both a direction and a length.  Line is an art element.  There are numerous varieties of possible lines, including curved, bent, thick, wide, broken, vertical, horizontal, burred, or freehand.  Lines are frequently used to delineate shapes, forms and spaces.  The representation of volume, edges, movement and patterns can all be created using line.  Lines can create both 2D and 3D objects and figures. 

                                        

I have a fondness for line.  One of my favorite teachers taught me the sensitivity that can be shown with simple line.  A soft or light line seems delicate while a hard or dark line may feel more solid or sturdy.  You pick the adjective, but you get my meaning.

I use line to draw my subjects when I paint in watercolor.  I find myself conflicted when I've drawn something I like with line but I know that the drawing itself will be lost when it's painted.  The subtleties expressed with a simple line are so beautiful to me!  

This is a little watercolor sketch I did today.  Inspired by the beauty of the brilliant colors this fall, I brought leaves home from my walk.  I tossed the leaves on my white table.  They were bathed in sunlight while I sat and sketched the contour of a brilliant red-orange maple leaf.  I went ahead and painted the drawing, but I felt I had to photograph the line drawing before I did!  

                                       


Drawing and line are definitely a big part of what I love about watercolor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment