Wednesday, September 7, 2016

A Look At Playing

As a follow up on the sketch I showed you last post, I wanted to go into a little more detail.
That sketch was very quick, around five minutes, and very rough. It reminds me that I can do such a fast sketch and still get a likeness of my dad because I am familiar with the subject. Repetition is the mother of learning, the father of action, which makes it the architect of accomplishments-Zig Ziglar.

So that was a nice bonus. I did this little sketch to experiment with line, pens and water soluble inks. I wanted to include a loose ink drawing of dad in the sketchbook I am doing of him. (that I am falling sooo behind on!) I used a Pilot brush pen for the bold lines, many of which were dry by the time I got to them with water to do much playing with. In also used a pilot Kakuno medium nib fountain pen and a pilot ergo grip fine tip fountain pen. Both filled with water soluble ink for the purpose of painting. The lines from the fountain pens seemed to dissolve better. I think the brush pen ink is absorbed into the watercolor paper faster because there is such a wide line?  In any case, I was not happy with how this worked and will have to experiment more with my ink wash techniques before I attempt it in the sketchbook.

The second photo shows the pencil drawing in the book. This was done from a photo I took after I did the sketch. I am pleased with the drawing and now the trick is to give it life in watercolor without screwing it up!! Wish me luck and I will post my results later.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, I love the pen and ink sketch! It is one of my favorite ways to create something quickly, and without the pressure of trying to make a perfect piece of art. I carry with me the Pilot Razor Point pen, which will give off a nice grey, and the Elegant Writer Calligraphy marker in XF...When I hit the lines with a waterbrush, the colors of the ink are amazing...and will lighten into beautiful pinks and purples if dabbed with a paper towel. I hope you will try it again as another quick sketch, and these other pens!

    As always, thank you for sharing your creations with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, new pens to experiment with! Thank you for sharing yours with me!

      Delete
    2. yay, new pens to experiment with! Thank you for sharing yours with me!

      Delete