Friday, December 3, 2010

Failed Paintings

While the basement dries out and the painters paint, there is little I can to do and little space in which to do it!  Since I am feeling a bit better (wonderful what a little NyQuil and 8 hours of sleep can do for you!)  I ventured into the studio to actually work on the Christmas card idea. 

Here's the thought for the day:  While you may possess the skills to carry a project out, you still need to think through process before you start.  And even then, if all the stars are not aligned you may not get what you want.  I used to just accept that and move on to another project. Sometimes I still do.  But these days more often I repeat the painting using what I learned in the last one to better the next one.  I mean, isn't that what it's really all about? 

But here's the thing with watercolor.  Sometimes the beauty is the very quality that makes it so hard to control!  I think that's why I like it.  And yet, today I had two failed paintings!  Not that I can just whip out two good paintings in one day.  I was doing smaller studies to figure out which process I wanted to use and what colors, etc.  I just don't like them! 

So, my lesson today is:  try and try again.  If at first you don't succeed -yada, yada.  Chuck the frustration and think about what your goal is.  What do I want this painting to say?  How can I best make that happen?  And sometimes, you just have to except that you don't have what it takes to pull it off.  Maybe you lack the skill?  Maybe the tools?  Maybe a clear concept?  Time?  But figuring that out can put you on the path to some change and improvement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment