Friday, February 8, 2013

Painting for Today

Below is today's painting, painted from a photo of a model. I don't like to paint from a photo, but I've missed life drawing for two weeks so I wanted to do a quick portrait sketch. I didn't have time to fiddle, and maybe that's a good thing. There is a lot wrong, but what is right is skin tones- I don't paint people of color often enough- and lost edges. It's a little sloppy and rushed but I was satisfied.

I've been reading a book called "On Becoming an Artist". It was the subtitle that sold me: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity. According to the author-- "mindfulness is an effortless, simple process that consists of drawing novel distinctions, that is, noticing new things."

So far, the book is interesting and the concept of being mindful is intriguing to me. I'm exploring mindfulness more fully. Anyone want to read along with me? On Becoming an Artist by Ellen J. Langer.



No comments:

Post a Comment